Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I'll admit it....I'm a reader.

Ladies and Gentlemen...

I like books.  I think that is an understatement.  I really like books.  I will read most fiction genres and a few non-fiction as well.  If there is an occasion to get me a gift you can go one of few ways, a gift card to Staples or Chipotle  (both of which require their own post) or a gift card to a book store.  My face will light up and then my eyes will glaze over as I start to ponder which of the many books I will purchase from my every growing wish list.
(This is the book shelf in the computer room.)

My sister feeds my addiction.  She sends me links to book blogs, emails me titles of books I "have got to read", and even brings me books she has finished reading so I may read them without tracking them down or having a due date stamped on the inside.

My husband has learned how my yearning for stories influences where we live.  During our moves (there have been three so far in our 12 year marriage) while house hunting, I also look at the local library.  I have mapped them out and made him drive by and if they are open, I go inside to check things out.

 (Books from one of the libraries we visit...often)

My parents lived with and understood my need for reading.  My sisters were allowed to check out five books at a time from the library growing up.  I was allowed ten.  Mom knew I would still finish them before our next trip to the wonderful building filled with shelves and shelves of books.

I have a tote bag that is used for nothing but toting books while we are on vacation.  I take no fewer than six but usually more like 8 or 10 books on long trips.  If I am sitting still for more than 60 seconds, I pull out my book and pick up where I left off.  Yes my wonderful husband has asked me to take books out of my purse and leave them at the hotel so we can talk in the car instead of me reading the whole time.  I oblige him most of the time.

I am known by a few ladies in my neighborhood as the book lady.  I have loaned books to friends and neighbors and have recommended series of stories to mothers for their children for summer reading (I mean well kids, I really do).
(Book shelf in bedroom.)

Well, it has come full circle.  My oldest little m has discovered the joy of reading on his own.  He is devouring chapter books this summer like they are candy.  He reads in bed, in the car, in the five minutes before supper he even squeezes in a few pages.  What is a mom to do?

Get him a tote bag and take him to the library the day before we leave for vacation.

Happy reading all!!

3 comments:

  1. How many times did I say (while I was driving - you were in the passengers seat)"Put it away or read outloud"? i hve to take some reading credit however be it through my girls. Love MOM Proud of Mikey and Matt will be close to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!! Just read an excellent one last night. Felt like you polishing off a book in a tiny amount of time!! (The book was a kid's book called "Love That Dog" buy Sharon Creech--you'd like it.) I see a bunch of Francine Rivers on those shelves too!! Love it! G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Becky -

    I found your blog through your profile on Goodreads (I just sent you a note there) - now I know we have a LOT in common! I loved this post - I feel the same way about books! I have two book blogs, though one is not very active at the moment just because I don't have the time to keep them both updated. But there are still lots of reviews there, if you're interested:

    www.bookbybook.blogspot.com (this is the one I don't keep up with as much right now)

    www.greatbooksforkidsandteens.com
    (it looks like your boys might be a little young for most of the books I review here)

    My boys are now 12 and 15, but feel free to ask me for recommendations if you want - it wasn't that long ago, they were just starting to read on their own, too!

    Nice to "meet" you -

    Sue

    ReplyDelete