Sunday, October 6, 2019

College- Already?!?

It seems like yesterday I brought my first born home from the hospital, but really it was over 17 years ago.  Now he is a senior in high school, waiting on news if he has been accepted into his college of choice.  (We will find out December 15.)

I feel in some ways I am just hitting my stride as a mom.  My guys are at a great independent stage. They can talk rationally and logically about an assortment of topics. The games we play now involve more that cars, trucks , and sound effects! They only require a spot check before leaving the house to make sure the shirt matches the shorts/pants and socks are the right color. They are even doing their own laundry on occasion.

The path of parenthood is longer behind me than in front of me.  My oldest heads to college next year.  My time left to influence him while at home is nearing the finish line.  His younger brother is finally realizing what this college thing will mean for him.  There goes his buddy! And three years after his brother, he will leave the nest for his own college experience.

I am not sure I am ready for this stage of life - emptying the nest.  There is so much comfort and security with all my chicks within my walls.  Knowing where they are and what they are doing.  Knowing if they need something, I can swoop in and help them out.

On the other hand, I wouldn’t want them to miss out on the life I have now.  If they don’t leave the nest, they will not get to experience kids of their own. The joy of having a place to call your own.  Going out on your own adventures and figuring out exactly what you want out of life. I want that for them, so they must fly.

As their parents, we will always cheer them on. We will always help when we should and can. We will hopefully know when to let them handle stuff on their own. We will watch them stumble and succeed.

And when they come home for a visit, we will play games and maybe even break out the legos that I will never throw away.

No comments:

Post a Comment