Wednesday, December 2, 2009

"...And the Stockings were hung by the chimney with care..."


When my sisters and I were growing up, my mom started a tradition. Each day from December 1 until December 24, we would find a small gift in our stockings. I have now come to realize that this started because she just could not wait until Christmas to give us the small things she had stockpiled for our stockings. Sometimes it would appear in the mornings, sometimes not until after school, and occasionally not until right before bed. It was not something large, just a small token. Knee highs, makeup brushes, fun socks or gloves. The three of us all loved it, but I soon got the (probably deserved) reputation of being a little over zealous in my stocking checks.

So now, I carry on the tradition in my home. My two guys know that they cannot check the stocking until they are dressed for school. Again the rules of the stocking gifts: small, inexpensive, fit in the stocking. That last one is very flexible. I have seen yarn tied to a stocking leading the way to the gift du jour.

I love seeing the glee on my guys faces in the morning as they discover the prize by the fireplace. I even try to fill my wonderful honey's sock a few times as well.

As for my stocking, it is not left out of the fun. My honey gives it something to hold on occasion as well.

And I try really hard to only check it a few times a day.

2 comments:

  1. You are improving if you check only a few times a day - it used to be a few times a minute. Keep up the good love!! MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Becky! Super picture. You're waaaaaayyy ahead of me this year!

    ReplyDelete