Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Dog Gone

A year and a half ago, we were so excited to welcome Jedi, a Pembrook Welsh Corgi puppy of eight weeks old into our family.

Now we are looking for a new home for our year old dog.

 I did not realize until recently how much time she spent in her crate, how often we were away from home for extended time during the day.  We love to spend an entire day at Idlewild.  Ballgames fill our Saturdays.  And Pittsburgh Pirate baseball games are not short hour long events, they take up and afternoon and sometimes the evening too!

I admit here and now that I am to blame for this mistake of the canine addition to the family.  I wanted a Corgi in the worst way and unfortunately, that's what I got.  I did not realize how much energy they have and how much they shed (year round).  We are doing her a real disservice by keeping her crated or pen up.  I am afraid this summer will be even worse.

So for those of you who we have asked on many occasions to dog sit for us.  That will no longer be a problem.  I will no  longer feel guilty about taking my boys for a fun day at the amusement park, because the dog is shut in the garage at home.  We will find Jedi a loving home where she will be allowed to run and chew and cared for better than we are currently doing right now.  It is only fair to all of us.

Now I have to tell the boys...

They took it better than we expected.  There were tears, but they did not try to argue with us.  I think they understand.  At least the new toys we got them to ease the hurt did help a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment