Friday, October 21, 2011

Work (if you can call it that)

Most of you know, our family is involved in karate.  We love it!  Exercise, self-defense, confidence builder, and fun!

Everyone once in a while, the school owners must both be out of town for various tests and competitions, and I  have the privilege of working behind the front desk.  I must unlock the doors, answer the phones, and help out parents who may have questions.

Tiny Tiger Class (4-6 years old)

This week I got to work behind the desk Wednesday through Saturday.  I saw every level of student and most ages between the 4 year-old Tiny Tigers up to the 60+ 2nd degree Black Belts in the adult classes.  There are beginner White Belts in their 40's and a 2nd degree Black Belt who is 12, and many ages and ranks in between.
Karate For Kids Class (7-13 years old)

Unlike most other sports, karate is an individual sport.  I have been to three competitions.  Most of the people are friendly and wish you the best.  You are not competing against everyone at the tournament. You are only up against those of like ranks, gender, and ages in your ring.  I have made friends at the tournaments and cheered for them while they were performing.  It is uncommon to root against someone.  The judges then determine who had the best form, or weapon form, in the ring.  Sparring is a little different.  While there are strict rules so that no one gets hurt, there are points to be won.  Even at the end of the rounds of sparring, we all truly congratulate the winner.

Adult Karate Class

I enjoy the sport of karate very much.  My goal is trying to improve with each testing cycle and each tournament.  Sharper moves, crisper formations, and higher jumps.  I have watched my boys grow in skills and pride.  I have even seen maturity and confidence as they learn more moves and acquire the next belt up the ranks.

But anyway, this Stay-At-Home Mom has been working this week.  Really, I have been talking with friends, blogging on the computer, and knitting a Christmas gift. I also take class on occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment