Sunday, February 14, 2010

First Karate Tournamant

It would appear most of my posts lately have been about the snow or karate, but that is the news I have to share. So here is another karate post.

Saturday was Mikey's first karate tournament.  I sat this one out.  He competed against four other boys in his block of white, orange, yellow belts.  (Just a reminder: Mikey is a yellow belt.)
Mikey competed in forms:
 
 
His moves were crisp and he knew his form perfectly. Not that I am biased in any way.
He competed in one-steps (which is the introduction to sparing at this level).
 
 
There is no contact and only one person is actually moving at a time.

He also made up his own form for weapons. 
We don't have any pictures of this and the video I haven't figured out how to download yet.  His form had to be less than 30 seconds long. He worked hard on it and messed up just a little but stuck with it.

At the end of the competition,
 
 
Mikey had earned first place in all three categories!!

I love you my karate kid!

2 comments: