Monday, October 11, 2010

Another Birthday Cake

Early August a friend asked if I could make her daughter's birthday cake for a September 12 party. I was thrilled!  I had just found a recipe online to make my own marshmallow fondant and wanted to try it out. I asked if this would be okay for her and since i could make it the desired color, it was a go!

The order: chocolate cake with butter cream frosting under purple marshmallow fondant with three "The Littlest Pet Shop" characters on top.  


Let the fun begin!


Did I mention the karate tournament we had on September 11? That is a post for another time, but it does factor in to the cake.  I didn't bake the cake until after the tournament because I wanted it to still be fresh.  We got home from the tournament around 7:00pm. 

You cannot decorate a warm cake so by the time the cake baked and cooled, I was just beginning to frost the cake at 10:30pm.

Once the crumb coat of frosting was on, it was time for the fondant.  It works a lot like pie crust except change the flour to powdered sugar.  I rolled out the fondant large enough to cover the half sheet cake with some to spare and realized I was going to need a few extra hands to move the purple sheet of sweetness onto the cake.  So at 11:00pm my groggy, wonderful honey comes in to help with the transfer from the counter to the cake.  I am really sorry I do not have any pictures of this, but we both had our hands full!


Once the fondant was smoothed into place, the detailed decorating began!  The requested characters were a bunny, a puppy, and a turtle.  The birthday girl had graciously let me borrow her small figures to act as models.


The final result (with models):


Here is a closer look.  Glad you had a fun birthday Olivia!

1 comment:

  1. Very impressive!! Love the colors and the very smooth fondant!!

    ReplyDelete