Monday, October 25, 2010

Four Weeks Ago...

Four weeks ago, on a Wednesday, we had a big thunderstorm in the early afternoon.

"How can you remember the day of the thunderstorm from four weeks ago?" You might ask.  Don't rush me.  I'm getting there.

Wednesdays are Awana night at our house and many houses of the Alliance Church members.  That means once the boys get home from school and home work is completed, we refresh (okay sometimes learn on the spot) our memory verses for the week, grab a quick dinner, and tell the Big M hello and goodbye as we pass in the doorway on our way to the church.

But that Wednesday night four weeks ago, I received a phone call as the little m's were sitting down to dinner.  NO AWANA!  The storm had knocked the power out at the church.  One should not try to host 95+ kids between the ages of 4-12 with no lights.  We had an unexpected free Wednesday night!

"But how do you remember the specific week?  It was a month ago!"  Hang on, it's coming.

After playing games with all the M's, I asked my wonderful honey to put the boys to bed so I could exercise.  Sure no problem, was his reply.  I took my time getting ready.  You see, I really didn't want to exercise and was trying to come up with a good excuse just to sit on the couch and read my book.

But the Big M said, "Come on. You can do it!  You will feel so much better after your done."  I should know better after 12 years of marriage to listen to the man about exercise.  He loves sit-ups, push-ups, and jogging.  Thinks everyone (especially his loving wife) should exercise to the hilt as often as possible.

SO, mumbling and grumbling, I grabbed my earbuds, my iPhone and headed to the treadmill in the basement.
I began my slow walk to get warmed up and then turned on my exercise app.  It gives me instructions that switch between walking  and jogging.  The more I follow the app over the coarse of a few weeks, the amount of time walking decreases and the amount of time jogging increases.  By the end I an trained to run a 5K (a little over 3 miles).

Ten minutes into my exercise session, my left pinkie finger hits the arm on the tread mill.  Now I was running with my arms swinging at my sides instead of crossing in front of me like one would normally run/walk.  I had assumed this unusual habit so I would not catch the cord to my earbuds and rip them from my ears.  Those of you who have done this can relate: it hurts your ears!

Well, in order to save my ears the pain, my finger took the sacrifice.  When my pinkie hit the treadmill, it snapped.  I thought it was only dislocated due to the slight angle it now had,but the hospital x-rays showed a break from the top of the largest bone in my little finger diagonally to the bottom.  My left pinkie, people!  For those of you who do not know me so well - I am left handed!

For two weeks I had a splint on my left hand that extended from mid-forearm to just past the tip of my pinkie.  I had the use of my thumb and the first two fingers. after that I have had to "buddy tape" my little finger and ring finger together.

Today, I went back for a follow up visit, my finger is still broken.  It has begun to heal, but I still have to buddy tape them during the day for the next six weeks.  I am re-learning how to do many things one handed or at the very least with only eight fingers.  Typing this blog was no easy task.

I will try to post an entry with pictures on a different subject soon.  Right now I must go take an extra strength Tylenol!

1 comment:

  1. I very hesitantly ask for the name of the app! And wish you continued recovery (so that you can get buzzing on ALLLLL of my sewing projects!) Haaaaa! Love you and your finger!
    G

    ReplyDelete