Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Last Week

I love teaching my kids at home.  It gave us the freedom to have a crazy busy, wildly fun, fabulous week.

Being the Pittsburgh Pirate fans that we are, we had to go to the last game of the season on Wednesday.  The game was at noon.  So we got up, had breakfast and headed out to the ball field hoping to snag some autographs before the game while the players were warming up.

Mikey's patience was awarded! After standing at the rail for what seemed to be an hour, Garret Jones, the right fielder, signed his glove.  Matt had waited just as long but missed the players' eyes.

Our seats were good, but crowded.  After a few innings we decided to move to a less populated section and found a spot with a few rows all to ourselves.  At one point the guys were up waling around and the Pirate Parrot came close to our seats.  He was signing autographs, something I had never seen him do this season.  I guess it WAS the last game and all.  I texted Mike to send Matt down.  Matt had asked earlier in the game if he could get the Parrots signature.  Matt came down immediately, and with sharpie in hand, very politely asked the Parrot to sign his baseball.  The Parrot happily obliged.
Matt was thrilled!

It was a great day at the ball park.

The next day, Thursday, we met up with Mike's sister and her kids and had a multi-school field trip to Fort Legonier.  Mike was able to take the day off and with guide book in hand, led the group tour.
All students listened intently and we spent about three hours at the fort.  The weather was perfect. We climbed and explored and then returned to my wonderful in-law's house for supper.  A truly fun day, and the guys did learn a thing or two!

Friday morning found the boys and I in the car just after the break of day.  I had bribed given them the incentive of Chick-Fil-A for breakfast if they would be up, dressed, totally packed and in the car by 7:30 AM(!) for the trip to Grandma and Poppy's house.  Never realizing how much the promise of food can make a man (no matter how young) put it in gear, the boys were in the car, drowsy and with a stuffed animal under each arm, but in the car at 7:29.  After grabbing the promised bribe reward, we headed down the road .  The boys would be staying with my parents for 3 nights while Mike and I attended a Marriage Encounter (more on this later).  We arrived shortly before 10.  The boys jumped out of the car, unloaded their bags and I hit the road once again for the return trip.

I made it home by 2 o'clock.  I packed my bags, loaded the car, and took a nap.  I had gotten up at the crack of dawn that morning, after all.  When my wonderful husband got home, he packed and we were rolling down the pavement yet again.  This time to the Antiochian Village for the Alliance Marriage Encounter.

This is the view from our room.

I wish I could tell you all the details about Friday night, all day Saturday and Sunday, but I don't want to ruin it for anyone else who may attend.  Let me just say it was an amazing weekend learning about Mike, myself, our marriage, and how to communicate better.  If you ever get the chance to attend one of these weekends, please, please, PLEASE go.  While Mike and I had a good marriage before, we now know how much better our marriage could and will be.

Monday brought another road trip to WV to pick up my young men.  It was a slower turn around this time and Grandma and Great-Grandma were reluctant to see the boys go.  Everyone had a great time.

Last week was a whirlwind.  But that is what life is all about.  Enjoying the events as they come. Strengthening family ties and learning about those you care deeply about.

1 comment: