Friday, October 12, 2018

Life

Amazing how fast time flies by while we are busy with the routine of life.

My oldest child is rapidly becoming a man.  Pants bought in the spring are now too short.  The sweatshirt that was baggy in the early fall is now getting a little snug.  And what is that fuzzy stuff creeping across his upper lip?

My youngest child is no longer in the single digit age bracket. Far past it. Handy Manny and Blue (with her clues) have madeway to MineCraft and difficult Lego sets.  And when did he start asking questions about politics that I can't answer?

It seems like yesterday we signed up for beginner t-ball. Littlest guy in the unbrella stroller and big brother playing in dust on the field.  No matter where the ball was hit the whole team ran after it.  Blink and we are watching from our folding chairs as they play first and third bases for their respective teams, knowing when to hold the base and when to go after the ball.  Forget about the tee.  The kids pitch for themselves now.

Way back in the day, date nights were planned at least a month (if not two) in advance.  A babysitter would be called or grandparents would collect the boys, reservations would be made.  Instructions for care would be left and phone numbers were stuck to the fridge.

Today, date nights are still planned, but without the extra fanfare and stress.  Grandparents still collect the boys on the rare occasion, but for an in town dinner date, the boys stay at home armed with a pizza and movie.  They are usually showered and deep into the plot when we get home.

With school schedules, karate, baseball, church activities, chores and housework it is easy to miss the milestones that guide us.  That first lost tooth, and the second and the third. The first day of school, the first day your drop them off (not walking them inside), the first time riding the bus. That day at IdleWild when they don't want you to ride with them anymore quickly becomes trips to Kennywood and "We will meet you at The Racer!"

Now I hand the car keys to the boy who used to ride his little truck through the kitchen so he can get some driving practice in on the real car. And the boy who used to drool so much he doubled my laundry, is starting the washer and dryer on his own.

Yes, there are times I would like to hit the pause button so I can enjoy certain moments a little longer, but the stop button is out of the question.  My job as mom is to raise them to be independant, gentlemen who can take care of themselves (and, hopefully, their own families).  I am enjoying watching them become more independant and wanting to learn how to do different things on their own.  I like being teased about boys catching up to me in height (I'd be worried if they didn't). I am glad I'm not dealing with diapers, strollers, carriers, and hauling their stuff.  They carry their own stuff now and more times than not, carry mine too.

I will enjoy these next few years before they leave for college, watching them grow, mature, and make friends that will last a lifetime.  I get to be a part of that.  I will encourage them to enjoy the time with extended family - grandparents, aunts, cousins.  I have special memories with mine and I don't want them to miss out on what it means to be part of a group that will love you forever in spite of mistakes and disagreements.

Yes, we are busy living, but we are not missing the good parts.

Take a moment and enjoy your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment