Tuesday, January 8, 2019

What’s in a name?

I have been called many names, some good, some not so good.  In karate class, whether or not I am teaching or taking the class, I am referred to as “Ma’am” or “Mrs. B”.  My husband will occasionally use terms of endearment - “Honey”, “Dear”.  My two sons call me “Mom”.  By the majority of people- friends, family, peers, call me “Becky”.

I have been married for over 20 years.  I haven’t been a “Miss” for a long time.  I do realize it is a common thing (especially in the South) for kids to call friends of their parents “Miss ____ “ what ever the person’s first name might be regardless of that woman’s marital status.  I’m not a fan of that unless the adult has said to call her by that title.  Plus, I don’t live in the South. To me, this ignores part of who I am.  I am not “Miss Becky” anymore.  I love being introduced as “Mrs. Buriok” to new acquaintances.  Within a few minutes I will ask them to call me “Becky”, but right out of the gate they understand I am married and happily so. I feel that when someone calls me “Miss Becky”, they are putting themselves in a subservient roll to me.  I do not like being placed in that position.

While my given name is Rebecca, I haven’t been called that in many years.  It was the name used by my parents when I was in big trouble.  You all know what I mean.  When you have done something so wrong the full name must be used to emphasize the severity of your actions and how bad the punishment is going to be. Last week, someone who has only known me for a couple of years wrote me a check for some work I had done for her.  She made the check out to “Rebecca”.  I do realize that in business full names are used for contracts and such.  But this person has never heard me called Rebecca.  It just seemed odd to me.  This same person sent me a text and called me “Miss Becky”.  If you are my peer and we are friends, I’m “Becky”.  If you are a friend of my sons, “Mrs. Buriok” will do unless I have asked you to call me “Becky”.

On this note, how do you correct someone with out coming across as snippy or mean? I easily correct someone the first time I am called the wrong title. But in a text it gets awkward. It is even more awkward if the person continues to ignore your request and uses “Miss Becky” all the time.

So the name you are called, in part, helps define and identify you.  What’s you name?


No comments:

Post a Comment