Monday, June 1, 2009

Bi-annual Clothing Switch

One down and one to go. At the end of each spring and fall, the off season clothes must be switched. There is not enough drawer space in either of the boys rooms to hold both warm weather and cold weather clothing. So 'tis the season to sort. What is too small must be set aside for hand-me-downs. What is the wrong season is packed in the rubber container. And what is worn out must go. Some of the worn out items are hard to part with. Not only have my two boys worn it but my nephew also wore it before them. I remember one outfit I bought for my nephew before my oldest was born. Once he outgrew it, my sister passed it on. I smiled as I put it on Mikey for the first time. The little train on the knee of the pants wasn't as bright as when I bought it a few years before, but they were in great shape. My silly grin turned into a sad smile as I packed them away after Matt could no fit in them. The train on the knee had traveled many miles on its two inch track at the knees of those three boys. Now a friend of mine has them. The train chugs on powered by the energy of her two boys.

Tomorrow I begin in Mikey's room. Drawers that were tidy in the fall, can only be shut with brute force. The closet doors will close if only to hide the disorganization inside. Do T-shirts multiply on their own? If they do, are they eating the missing socks for fuel? All of the shirts fit in his drawer in September and all the socks had mates. Now, t-shirts are hanging from drawers, the closet shelves, and the lonely sock club at our house has at least 20 new members from Mikey's room alone. Maybe I'll find them tomorrow during the sorting.

Much of today was spent sorting Matt's closet and drawers. He tried on all of his "Sunday" shirts and every pair of shorts coming out of the bin I packed last fall. A few tears were shed when he realized he could no longer wear some of his cherished clothes. I also got to see several versions of his happy dance as clothes fit and he like the style, color, or feel. Now his closet is neat. All of his drawers can shut. And I can see carpet in his closet once again.

This year as I pack away the clothes that are too small for Matthew. My sad grin was a curious one. My cousin and his wife are expecting a son in the fall. He will be the next boy in line for these cloth memories if they want them. I know it will be years (it will seem like the blink of an eye) before he will wear them, but there is a little basketball t-shirt packed away that will be waiting to see the court again.

Thanks Cole for the hand-me-downs.

No comments:

Post a Comment