Saturday, June 13, 2009

Reading

For those of you who know me, you know I love to read. On car trips (any over half an hour) I have at least three books in the car and a couple on audiobook. I read while I exercise on the treadmill. I read in the tub. I read while I do my hair (book weights are a wonderful invention). If I have the chance, I am reading.

I want my boys to love reading too. So this summer, we have joined three library summer reading programs. To motivate the boys to read, there are prizes available. For reading a certain number of books or for a set amount of time, the boys receive tickets. Then they can put the tickets in the buckets that match the prizes they want to win.

We are off to a great start. This week alone we have read the entire book "THe Boxcar Children." It counts for me to read aloud due to the ages of my boys. We have read several other books as well, but I have discovered that I can offer to read aloud anytime during the day and the boys will say "yes". They couldn't wait to see what would happen and how the book would end.

It is so fun to watch them really get into a good book. One day after reading a couple of chapters in the late afternoon, the boys couldn't wait to tell their dad about it when he got home from work. The conversation at supper was fun, listening to the boys try to out talk each other to tell their favorites parts.

I am so glad my boys are reading and enjoying it. Next trip to the library, we will have to get the next book in the series so I can read more about Henry, Jesse, Violet, and Benny. But for now I have to go read my own book. I can't wait to see how it ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment