Friday, June 19, 2009

What we won't do for our kids




Okay, party time! This weekend is the big number seven for my oldest son. He is so excited for his birthday. We will be bowling with friends for the party. Wahoo! We try to make both boys partys fun and exciting. Usually we have an outdoor party here at home but this year I caved. Let someone else host the event so I don't have to clean on the off chance a little party person might have to use the bathroom and actually have to enter the house.

So now my responsibility is the cake. On this point I have not caved. I will make the requested cake as I have done for each birthday since day one. I want each boy to have the cake that matches what they want and not have to pick from a few selected options at the local supercenter.

So when I asked Mikey what kin
d of cake he wanted this year, I expected the usual answer of a car or a sports field or other "boy" idea. Not my kid.

"Mom, I want L.E. (his stuffed elephant) and Hippo (also stuffed) sitting in the stands holding signs." ?!?!?!?!?

You can imagine the following discussion: what kind of stands? ~you know like at the field. by the baseball field? ~Yes. Okay, stands like bleachers, do you want the field too? ~ no just the stands, with L.E. and Hippo sitting in the center holding signs. What should the signs say? ~Number 7 and Happy Birthday.

Sure I say. Okay for tomorrow I have to

So to answer the question: What won't we do for our kids? Nothing. We would do anything for our kids including
building bleachers out of cake and frosting strong enough to hold an elephant and a hippopotamus. I wonder how tough buttercream icing really is.

1 comment: