Friday, October 24, 2014

Benefits of Health

Day 24 - 31 Day Challenge
To read from day one of the challenge, click HERE.

Once I decided to get on the wagon and hold on firmly to my seat, the results can be felt pretty quickly.  While I have not stepped on the scale to see if numbers have changed in the right direction, there have been changes.  My eating has not been perfect, but better.  I've been more aware of what I have put in my mouth, no longer just eating out of habit or boredom.

I have been drinking more sugar free beverages.  No more flavored creamers in my tea in the mornings.  Flavored, caffeine free tea works well with a little Truvia add to it.  Sodas (or pop, depending where your are) are no longer the go to drink while out to eat.  Unsweetened iced tea or half sweet and half unsweet, is my choice now.

Since Sunday, I have met or exceeded my FitBit steps goal four out of five days, and walked for exercise (very brisk pace) three of the five (I had only planned on two of those walks).  Last week, I only met my step goal 2 out of 7 days, and only exercised once.

What differences do I notice?  More energy.  Despite only getting 3 hours of sleep last night, I did not feel groggy or run down today once I got moving.  I'm sure I will sleep well tonight.  With each day that I do well, I find I am less apt to "cheat".  The sugary food had less pull.  I'm more motivated to reach for the carrots instead of the candy.  I'm looking forward to getting outside and walking.  Knowing the snow and ice of winter is on it's way, I want to take advantage of the walking path at the park as often as possible.  The monotony of the treadmill looms large in the bitter cold days ahead.

I would like to wait another week before I step on the scale.  I want to seek out the non-scale victories  and relish those a little longer.  I know once I step on the scale, my focus will be drawn to the numbers and I will overlook the benefits that aren't tied to numbers. Watch for those.  They are as fun to find as geocaches.
Let's do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment