Wednesday, October 22, 2014

My Schedule for Better Health

Day 22 - 31 Day Challenge
To start at day 1, click HERE

My exercise routine had fallen by the way side due to many excuses and no real reason.  So I scrapped the old plan and set up a new schedule to keep me out and moving while the boys handle the independent school work which does not require my help.  Every other day, I drive to a nearby park and walk two miles at a very brisk pace.  Getting outside, breathing fresh air makes it feel less like work and more fun somehow.

Monday, I was able to get my two miles in around noon.  My guys had had a full morning of school and as they fixed and ate lunch, I headed to the park.  This small park has a paved path around it that measures just short of 1/3 of a mile.  The sky was bright. The breeze was cool and crisp.  A wonderful day for a walk.  My average pace was 16 minutes and 5 seconds per mile.

Today, I went out again.  I left the house earlier than Monday and arrived at the park in full walk mode at 9:10am.  I had just downloaded a fresh podcast to listen to, "Read Aloud Revival" (please check it out, really good).  This episode was just over 30 minutes long so just about right for my walk.

Now, at this point I must mention that my loop begins just after the bridge.  The bridge happens at the bottom of the hill.  Did you know you can build up a pretty good pace coming down a slight hill?

The sky was overcast this morning and the temperature was just below chilly.  I wanted to break a sweat, so I knew I needed a good pace to do so.  Off I went.  I had borrowed my son's headphones, so I wouldn't worry about the earbuds continually falling out of my ears or causing my ears to ache (I really need to ask my wonderful hubby for some my coming birthday).  My body must like the earlier time because I was cruising.  At the end of the hill, at the end of my first loop, my foot met the bridge.


It wasn't until both feet were on the wooden slats that I realized I no longer had traction.  The heavy dew, the leaves, the age of the wood, along with the build up of a layer (or two) of pollen created a surface that was slicker than snot on ice.  While I did maintain a vertical position, I could have spelled out "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" with the right flags in my hands with all the waving and flailing I did.  Do you notice the 90* turn at the end of the bridge? That is only the halfway point of this treacherous terrain.

My first thought was, "Man, this is really gonna kill my pace!" Then I realized I had to cross this bridge five more times before my two miles were finished. While, I didn't have to crawl across the bridge, I did have to slow significantly to avoid ice skating into the railings or falling on my butt.  It was really slick, y'all!

Trying to make up for the snail's pace on the bridge, I booked around the rest of the loop.  Each time I stepped onto the wooden slats, I had to back down to first gear.  I still slid a little, but I kept moving.  At the end of the six laps, I checked my time.


My overall average was 15 minutes and 30 seconds per mile. My second mile was the quickest at 15 min and 5 sec.  Maybe skating over that bridge helped after all!

Can't wait to see what the bridge is like on Friday!
Let's do this!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a beautiful, if slippery walk! Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete