Saturday, October 25, 2014

Running Late is NOT Healthy

Day 25 - 31 Day Challenge
To read about my ramblings on health, and the lack thereof, from the beginning, click HERE.

I had my day all planned out and ready.  With the oldest of the boys leaving for a retreat with the youth group 15 minutes before I had to be at work, I knew the timing had to be perfect.  We had to pick up snacks and a few miscellaneous items before the heading to the church. I added that to the plan.

Due to slow laundry and sewing projects that took longer than expected, we left the house a sparse one hour and fifteen minutes before the designated drop off time.  I had hoped to exit the house 15 minutes earlier, at the latest! While I knew we could still make it on time, I was beginning to feel rushed.

We headed to the local supercenter to grab snacks to fuel a pre-teen and his friends between the meals at the retreat.  Enroute, it was discovered the Bible and pen had not been packed.  No problem, an e-version of the Bible was on the Kindle that was riding with us in the car.  The supercenter would certainly have a pen or two that could be purchased and since we already had a notebook from the office supply section on the list, this additional item would not slow us down.

Snack options were mulled over. Elusive items were searched for (and remained hidden). Purchases were made.  Back in the car, we threaded through the crowded parking lot and headed to the church with ten minutes to spare.  So we sat and patiently waited, enjoying the unexpected gift of a few minutes to just be.  The boys found a small football in the back of the car and started passing it back and forth in the empty (except for our car) parking lot.

After reading one of my favorite blogs (The Wright Stuff For Us) I glanced at the time.  3:43 and still not one other car had parked in the lot to deposit another kid for the retreat.  Had I read the flyer wrong? Had we missed the group altogether and they left before we ever arrived? That stresss level that had started creeping up, then lowered by arriving "early", was now rising once again.

Just as I was looking up a number to phone for answers, the youth pastor pulled into the lot.  Apparently, the time had changed.  I had seen the original notice sent home, not the second one that stated the time of drop off had been moved to 4:00 instead of 3:45. My tightly-scheduled, plan of attack was falling apart!  If I had left at 3:50 from the church, I would have had time to grab myself dinner to eat at work and snack to tide over a growing boy until dinner.  One needs fuel for karate class after all.

I didn't pull out of the parking lot until 4:05.  The boy still needed that snack, but my dinner would have to wait.  Muscles are getting tighter by the minute.  A headache was gathering troops to attack at the next delay.  We whipped into the drive thru under the golden arches.  I was told, "I'll be with you in a minute." so we sat and waited.  After 2 full minutes, another car pulled into the second lane, ordered and pulled ahead.  Then they (finally) took my order of nuggets and beverage.  I pulled forward and the car in front of me counted out each penny.  Minutes were ticking by quickly.  When my turn came, I tossed my exact change at the clerk and pulled up to the second window to receive our food.  I was handed my drink, then she went back in for the small bag of nuggets, then she disappeared again to get a straw.  I pulled away as I was being told to "Have a nice day and come back soon."

I pulled into work 25 minutes after I needed to be there.  Thankfully, I have very forgiving bosses who understand life happens (and the fact that they are in Flordia, helps a little). The lights were already on and students were on the floor.  Once I got settled in and made my apologies, i could let the tension depart without waging war on my  tired system.

Yep, being late really works against my healthy lifestyle plan.  Yet, sometimes it is beyond our control.  I will keep planning and trying.  Things will improve.

Let's do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment