Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Fresh Air

Day 28 - 31 Day Challenge
To read some of the rest of the series, click HERE

A nasty cold has settled on my oldest child.  We were up until 12:30 last night.  Even though he is 12, he wanted to have his momma hold him for a little bit while he fell asleep.  I jumped at the chance even though a migrain was threatening. The symptoms were announcing themselves in their usual order: numb fingers, numb tongue, loss of peripherial vision, then the headache.

Anyway, I had obligations this morning and once those were accomplished, I warned the boys with penalty of death I was not to be disturbed, and went back to bed for a hour.  It is amazing what sound sleep can do.  My headache had retreated to the background and I was ready to teach school (consider it a four hour delay).

I glanced outside.  The sun was playing with the clouds as the wind rocked the tops of the trees.  The temperature was higher than it has been for a week and most likely as high as it will be until after winter.  Snow is in the forecast for this weekend.  Knowing these facts, we packed up our school room and headed out to our outdoor classroom (aka the back deck) and learning commenced.

As read aloud began, we breathed in deep and relaxed in the warmth of the sun.  Tension of the morning of illness and headache wars blew away with the breeze.  The beauty of the autumn trees surrounded us with art that can't be duplicated by any man.  The music of the leaves rustling and the birds chirping was a wonderful accompainment to the lessons being read.

There is something about being outside and breathing in lungfulls of fresh air to lift your spirits and make you feel better.  Looking ahead to the winter and being inside each day, makes us enjoy this day all the more.  School in front of the fireplace is special too, and I will tell about that in another post this winter.

Today, I am going to enjoy this summer day that got lost in the days of fall. I will get in my two mile walk with a friend this evening and enjoy it all the longer.

Breath deep, everyone.  Let's do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment