Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Water, water, everywhere (and a few other options)

Day 29 - 31 Day Challenge
To read this challenge from the beginning, please click HERE

Grab your water bottle and pull up a seat.  I have written how much water we are supposed to drink in a day.  I try, I really do, but sometimes, water is just so blah.  After working out or doing some serious yard work, I can guzzle water without thinking about it.  But in the middle of the day, the thought of drinking another sip of plain water makes my throat close up. So I have researched alternatives that still count as water but have flavor and even a little kick.

Option 1 - Add something to plain water.  I have added chunks of ginger root, slices of cucumber, and even though I cannot do this myself, lemon or lime slices work well too.  These additions do not take away any of the health benefits of water. they may even add a smidge of extra healthiness.

Option 2 - find a recipe that does not add chemicals or sugar to your body.  I have mentioned the Trim Healthy Mama way of eating.  They introduced me to "Good Girl Moonshine".  There is no alcohol involved in this drink.  In our house we refer to it as "Ginger Pop".  It is my soda/pop/cola replacer.  It is a great refresher on those hot summer days when you used to reach for a bubbly beverage.

           Fill a quart jar with ice, then fill with water leaving about an inch empty at the top.
           Add a half inch of ginger root or 1 teaspooon of ginger powder.  Add 1-2 Tablespoons of apple
           cider vinegar. Finish the mix off with 1-2 packets of truvia (all natural sugar replacement).  Put
           the lid on the jar and shake to mix it well and disolve the truvia.  Drink while ice cold.

Adjust this recipe until it totally suits you.  Add more truvia, less ginger, what ever floats your boat to make this drink your favorite over the sodas you used to reach for.

There are many other recipes like this out there.  Some for hot weather and some for cold.  Some in the format of a smoothie texture others a lite latte version.

What ever it takes to get your liquids in, please do it to help your body get healthy.  Let's do this,

No comments:

Post a Comment