Friday, October 10, 2014

Water, Water everywhere

Day 10
For the beginning of this series, click here.

Ask anyone and they will know the answer to this basic question: How much water should you drink everyday?  64 ounces is the common response.  I would like to propose a different answer.

For those who are trying to lose extra pounds or just feel better overall 64 ounces is just the starting point.


Take your body weight. Just for example we will use 170 pounds.
Divide that number by 2.  85
That number is the amount of water you should drink in ounces.  If you weigh 170 pounds, you should try to drink 85 ounces of water a day.  I know that sounds like a lot.  As long as you don't add sugar or caffeine, you can flavor your water with different things to change it up a bit.  I like to add ginger root to my water in the afternoon or even drink unsweetened, caffeine free iced tea.  Those count towards my water goal.

I know water can be a little bland and even a little hard to swallow at times, but it is a step towards better health.  It will flush out our system and even tell our bodies not to hang on to that extra fluid.  Once our bodies see we are drinking a steady supply of water, it will feel free to let go of its hoard of extra fluid.

In order to make drinking my required amount of water fun, I got myself a couple fun water bottles to use.  If it is fun to drink from a colorful bottle with the amounts already measured out for me, I am more likely to do it.

If drinking out of a quart mason jar seems like fun to you, go for it! I drink out of one on occasion using a big smoothie straw.

8 oz in a cup
16 oz in a pint
32 oz in that quart mason jar
And if you always wanted to drink from the milk carton, but your mom wouldn't let you, here's your chance to get in that 64 oz of water we all need TWICE. 128 oz of liquid in a gallon.

Whatever makes it fun.  I'm off to fill my water bottle. How about you?

Let's do this!

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water."
                                                          ~W. H. Auden

"Water is the driving force of all nature" ~ Leonardo da Vinci

No comments:

Post a Comment