Friday, October 3, 2014

The Dreaded "D" Word

When most people determine they need to lose weight or get healthy, they begin by investigating diet programs. Noone can even think the word "diet" with our some sort of mental groan. Diets mean hunger, restrictions, weird food, or even no actual food. (When I was growing up, juicing was a bad thing, but that's a whole other post!)

Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Adkins, South Beach are just a few that barely scratch the surface of plans that will help you drop that unwanted weight.  Some of these should only be used for a short period of time.  Staying on certain plans, which cut out entire groups or types of food is not healthy.  Our bodies need protein, fat, carbs, fiber, water, and many other nutrients.  To leave one of the major building blocks out of our diet for an extended period of time will worsen our overall health.  We may drop weight like a tree drops leaves in autumn, but once we stop that plan the pounds will come back with friends.

Some ladies I know, live on a "diet" of some sort.  At one time, if you weren't on a diet, you just weren't "with it".  Being on a diet was the common fad.  Fad diets are a way to lose quick weight, but are not a healthy lifestyle to live.

The plan I am going to try for the next 31 days is called Trim Healthy Mama. This lifestyle way of eating was developed by two sisters who needed to get healthy after living a vegetarian lifestyle for years.  They went to the Bible to see what it had to say about eating.  They took into account the different liftstyles between then and now and made adjustments for that.

I tried this plan once before and did lose weight.  I fell off the wagon around the holidays and never got back on despite the success I had.  Well, now is the time to get healthy again so I can enter the holidays with less stress and more rest.  I'll keep you all posted while keeping my dignity (I hope).

The foundation of this plan is to cut out unhealthy sugars, and eat fat and carbs in separate meals.  You don't starve yourself. Matter of fact, there are even dessert recipes in the book which are pretty good! This makes for some creative eating but does not require any expensive foods or weird items.  My goal is for health. To do that I MUST eat better. To eat better you must have a plan.  I have my plan. Do you have yours?

Let's do this!

1 comment:

  1. Working towards healthy is way more important than "skinny" - skinny doesnt even sound good really! It sounds underfed! Looking forward to your posts! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete